Saturday, July 4, 2009

185



The wolf spider is found here in Oklahoma. It isn't a web-spinning spider, but roams at night to hunt for food. The wolf spider ranges in size from 1/2 inches to 2 inches in length. It is hairy and typically brown to gray in color with various markings or lines. The wolf spider is often confused with the brown recluse, but as you can see the wolf spider doesn't have the violin-shaped marking behind the head. The wolf spider is not poisonous, though bites may cause reactions in certain individuals.

When my Jazzy Beagle was eight months old, she picked up a small wolf spider and was bitten in the mouth by it. Within a matter of minutes, she was in respiratory distress, and then collapsed on the floor, with no sign of life. My husband did puppy CPR while I called the veterinarian, and asked him to meet us at the clinic (it was after hours). She was given intravenous fluids and the doctor stayed with her through the night. He called the next morning and said we could come pick her up.

4 comments:

Sara G said...

EWWWWW, that is one ugly spider.
Great photo of it though.
Glad to hear Jazzy made it though the spider bite.
Take care and Happy 4th of July to you and your family!!

Mari said...

Yuck! I'm glad we don't have those in Michigan!

Oz Girl said...

Hey, that looks like my wolf spider. :-D

That would be so scary if one of the dogs got bit... I'm glad Jazzy was ok. I'll be that was an expensive, although well worth it, vet visit!

Sujomi said...

Heck of an arachnid! Can I say I'm glad it's there and not here?