Monday, March 23, 2009

82


We went to an auto show at the QuikTrip Center yesterday. As we were walking into the building, I snapped a few pics of this 76' tall replica of an oilfield roustabout standing next to an oil derrick. The statue was originally built in 1953 by the Mid-Continent Supply Company of Fort Worth, Texas for the International Petroleum Exposition, and was erected again for the 1959 show. Due to the positive attention it attracted, the company donated the statue to the Tulsa County Fairgrounds Trust Authority. The statue was permanently installed for the 1966 International Petroleum Exposition at the Tulsa Expo Center. In 1979, the Golden Driller was adopted by the Oklahoma Legislature as the state monument.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

That is quite a man. :)

Sara G said...

Great post and photo!!
Thanks for sharing

Oz Girl said...

Great perspective on this shot! ;) Boy oh boy, are the winds wicked today or what?! I kept losing my balance this morning while I helped hubby put some new fence posts in the pasture.... and tornado watches today too, yippee!! But hopefully we get some much needed rain. I know our burnt pasture is looking forward to the rain.

Christina said...

I took a few pics of the Golden Driller from different views. My husband isn't always sure he likes my perspective! :)

Mari said...

Wow - what a statue! Nice picture!

dd said...

this is such a great photo! Love the perspective and the sky really adds to it also I think.

Robert Hill said...

cool angle...

Dot O said...

You've got the neatest things where you live!! I am going on a search for something "neat" in the near future - Probably will have to head either into the city or out into Amish country.

Great photo, Christina!

uberrhund said...

He is a fine looking fella!
I wonder, might he know the Vulcan Man over in Alabama or Paul Bunyan in California!?!

Walker said...

Great capture; tall dude!!